Black Hills Chapter - Lead/Deadwood - Organized: April 16, 1921
Bear Butte Chapter - Sturgis - Organized: March 15, 1952
MERGER APPROVED: December 4, 1999
The Black Hills Chapter, NSDAR, was organized in Belle Fourche, South Dakota, on April 16, 1921 at the home of Betty H. Crouch.
Bear Butte Chapter was organized March 15, 1952. The chapter was named after the mountain east of Sturgis, an igneous cone rising almost 1,400 feet above the plains to an elevation of 4,422 feet. This cone served as a landmark to early explorers and pioneers. The chapter was active in DAR committee work in Sturgis, and the surrounding areas, until merging with Black Hills Chapter in 1998.
On August 21, 1999 members of the Bear Butte-Sturgis and Black Hills- Lead/Deadwood Chapters met and voted in favor of merging. Feeling the name of the newly merged chapter and its location should serve to best represent the vast area encompassing its combined membership they voted to change the chapter name to Black Hills and its location to Rapid City. On December 4, 1999 the National Board of Management approved the merger, name, and location. The new chapter became:
BLACK HILLS CHAPTER, NSDAR
Rapid City, SD
Black Hills Chapter